I recently started running and I usually go for a 5k run.
After the run I go to this cafe and get a green smoothie.
I recently thought why don’t I try and make my own smoothie so I can drink it right after my workouts.
This Green Smoothie is different to the one in my cafe as it contains chia seeds which are really high in energy and pinole which I added because I recently read born to run
and pinole is the staple food of the Tarahumara Indians.
This Green Smoothie can be taken before or after your workout and is great for recovery and endurance and is an easy way to incorporate vegetables into your diet.
The Pinole gives it a slight nutty flavour which I find makes it taste quite interesting.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
Lets do this!
3 tips on making the perfect smoothie
- add liquids to the blender first as this will make the blades on the blender spin easier.
- Start the blender on low speed as it allows the big pieces of fruit to be broken down, then you increase the speed to blend the ingredients smoothly together.
- Smoothie to thick? Add some water to dissolve it and make it less thick.
- 1 apple
- 1/4 of a cucumber
- 1 cup of kale
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 banana
- 2 strawberries
- add water and chia seeds to blender
- get the apple and chop in to quarters and remove seeds
- blend on low speed for around 20 seconds
- add banana and strawberries and blend on low for 30 seconds
- add cucumber and kale and blend for about 40 seconds or until smooth
- serve with ice and enjoy